National Mutt Day: Celebrating The Pawsome Mix-Breed Dogs
Being a pet-parent is indeed one of the best things that can happen to a human. And, the most beautiful part of adopting a dog is that we get ample of choices to pick the right one. The moment you enter a shelter home, and those puppy eyes capture your heart in a way that you cannot resist to take that bundle of joy to your home. So, if you’re looking for a kind-of-a-pet then one can’t go wrong with a mixed breed pup. There’s something undeniably amazing about mixed breed dogs due to the inherent characteristics they hold. Well, yes today we’re gonna talk all about mutt dogs as National Mutt Day is right upon us here. So, let’s dig deeper into it.
Why Do We Celebrate Mutt Day?
It is crucial to celebrate mutt day because with any reasons millions of mixed-breed dogs get overlooked while people opt to adopt purebred dogs. A search concluded that 8 out of 10 American dog shelters are mixed breeds. The reason being comparatively lower fees for obtaining the pure breed dog and because they’re adopted quickly.
In 2005, an animal welfare advocate and pet and family lifestyle expert, Collen Paige declared Mutt Day as a holiday in order to enlighten the problem of mixed breed dogs being abandoned and euthanized due to over-breeding. Therefore, she created a holiday, which is celebrated on July 31st and December 2nd with the purpose to spread awareness regarding not only the importance of mixed-breed dogs but also to save and celebrate them.
Why Mutt Dogs Make Great Pets
- Mixed breed dogs are thought to be less likely to develop the illness that purebred dogs are prone. The reason being, though they’re a part of let’s say, German Shepard, they have fewer genes than a purebred one.
- All mix-breeds are unique. Therefore, if you’re looking forward to adopting a unique combination of looks and personality, then a mixed-breed dog is the right pick.
- Mutts possess a moderate personality. Mutts are less likely to be extremely shy or extremely aggressive since they claim to have multiple ancestral ties.
- A mixed-breed dog living at a shelter has a higher chance of being euthanized So when you adopt a mutt you are actually saving a life.
How To Celebrate National Mutt Day
- Donate to your near shelter; you can donate toys, food, or pet care essentials.
- Volunteer to help a dog at your local rescue.
- Spread the word through social media.
- Adopt a mutt and help to save a life.
Well, these were some ways to celebrate national mutt day. However, you can still have the celebration in your own ways, and if you’re lucky enough to have a mutt as your pet then ensure to make a day out of it with your own mutt with all the gifts, treats, and love.